Melbourne is the second most populous city in Australia and has the beautiful Yarra River flowing through its city. Its been designed and built along the river and it expands north towards the ranges rather than along the shore line.
Melbourne's Drinking Water
One of the best things about Melbourne is the quality of its water. It is one of the places in the world with protected water catchments.
Who controls our drinking water?
Much of the water supply in the city is controlled by the Government of Victoria via Melbourne Water.
There are six water supply plants that serve the city and these water treatment plants have different ways of treating water. The water treatment process depends on the nature of the existing water. For example in Greenvale, treatment is only done through chlorination, while in Cardinia and Silvan, water always has fluoride added.
What Lurks in Melbourne's Tap Water
Water treatment by our Governments successfully removes the most dangerous bacteria and viruses from our drinking water. However, with such huge treatment facilities and the environment impacting our water daily... our health may still be at risk.
While drinking water coming out of your taps may look clear, laboratory analysis may find (and have) the presence of the following substances in your water:
- Chlorine - used to disinfect the water and remove harmful contaminants. WARNING- In high levels it can be stomach problems, irritation on the skin and even increase the risk of cancer if its consumed in high volumes. MORE> Chlorination, Are You Sure Your Drinking Water is Safe?
- Fluoride - is actually added as a health requirement to promote prevention of tooth decay. WARNING- Excess fluoride in water may cause dental fluorosis that may lead to brittle bones and teeth. MORE> Should You Be Worried About Fluoride In Your Drinking Water?
- Arsenic - is a natural element that is found in the Earth’s soil. WARNING- High levels of arsenic in tap water can be a serious health risk. Arsenic can cause bladder, lung, skin, kidney, and liver cancer. MORE> Arsenic in Water: Its Effects and How to Get Rid of It
- Copper- promotes good health in low levels. WARNING- When high amounts of copper accidently makes its way into your water it can cause nausea, headaches and gastric discomfort. MORE> Health Risk of Copper In Drinking Water
- Lead - can be naturally occurring in water, or increased amounts make their way into our drinking water from household plumbing which contains lead. WARNING- It can lead to many health risks and complications especially in pregnant women and children. And there are many more chemicals hiding in tap water.
Worse is the problem with pesticides that have been contaminating melbourne stored water! Pesticides used by farmers usually seep into the groundwater or are carried by runoff water to the streams that lead to reservoirs. Significant levels of these type of chemicals have been detected in Yarra River, the major source of Melbourne’s drinking water. These are just some of the farm chemicals that get into streams and reservoirs.
Is there a solution for YOU?
This may all come as a shock to you but there is no need to never touch the water in your taps again. The Water Corp treatment process does make our water sanitary but sometimes things are out of their control.
You do have some options to put the control back in your hands to make your water at home in Melbourne safe and clean:
- Buy filtered water
- Install water filters
Buying water in containers from your local shops is accessible and possible but can become expensive and impractical in the long run.
Installing home water filters is the economical option. The best water filters remove all impurities and kill microorganisms without adding anything into the water. They convert tap water into safe, clean, pure water.
Properly filtered water is completely safe. It doesn’t leave scale on inner surfaces of kettles. It doesn’t leave spots on glass and is an excellent rinsing agent.
Where to get your water filter from?
You can purchase water filters all over the country however, not all water filters are certified. Always check with the retailer if their products have been tested and certified in regards to the health guidelines.
These days you can purchase good quality water filters here online. My Water Filter’s products have all passed the health certifications plus we deliver to your door for free.
If you’re looking for the best water filters in Melbourne, you have come to the right place!